Anger General Greatest NBA Coaches of All-Time #4

Talk about anything here.
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Anger General Greatest NBA Coaches of All-Time #4

Post by dwcmwa »

The results are in and Greg Popovich was voted as the 3rd Greatest NBA Coach of All-Time.

Greatest NBA Head Coaches of All Time list:

1. Phil Jackson = http://www.angergeneral.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=32214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Red Auerbach = http://www.angergeneral.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=32363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Greg Popovich = http://www.angergeneral.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=32506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vote for your #4 coach of all time posting the said coach's name from the list of candidates below:

Pat Riley = 11 votes

Larry Brown

Chuck Daly = 1 vote

Jerry Sloan

Red Holzman

Lenny Wilkens

John Kundla

Total Votes = 12 votes
Last edited by dwcmwa on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 15 times in total.

LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Re: Anger General Greatest NBA Coaches of All-Time #4

Post by LNS »

Riley
AlaskaHawks
Mount Rushmore

Post by AlaskaHawks »

D Fish
"The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe you might block every shot."
Bill Russell

"I'm just 'bout that action, boss"
L.O.B. = Love our Brothers.
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

I'm gonna go Riles here, won championships with two different franchises.

Master Spade
Hall of Famer

Post by Master Spade »

Top 4 is easy, this one is Pat Riley.

#5 is where it gets fuzzy.

:pop2:
I would rather DIE Standing on my Feet, than Live Life on my Knees!!
Max
Coach

Post by Max »

Fisher
PhutureDynasty
Mount Rushmore

Post by PhutureDynasty »

Pat Riley.
Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

Riley
Y2K
One Mizzou. Then. Now. Always.

Post by Y2K »

Pat Riley.

I'm a baaaddd motherfucker!!
americaninfidel
All-Time Great

Post by americaninfidel »

Riley.
Fear is the mind killer. We are not afraid.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

I don't have a problem with Riley here per se, but I think he's got a bit of a Teflon cloak here.

Those Lakers teams that he won all but one of his coaching rings with were arguably one of the most stacked teams in history. KAJ, Magic, Worthy for most of those rings, one of the best wing defenders ever in Michael Cooper and other top quality players for at least one or more of those titles like McAdoo, Scott, Nixon...

Add to that the west was generally without any other elite team throughout his time there (for a short period Houston with the twin towers was an exception) and the Lakers basically had a free ride to the finals. He never won anything of note in NY with Ewing.

He won one in Miami, but the 2006 handcheck parade to the line for Wade and a still pretty great Shaq had a lot to do with that. He also coached that team to dead last two years later with only 15 wins.

Jackson got flak because his teams were supposedly so stacked. For all he was blessed with, I'm not certain Riley doesn't get a bit of a pass for not winning more.

Its iffa, could, woulda stuff we can never know, but I suspect Daly or Brown would have won at least as many titles given the same set of circumstances.
Yuh
Superstar

Post by Yuh »

Pat Riley.
Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I don't have a problem with Riley here per se, but I think he's got a bit of a Teflon cloak here.

Those Lakers teams that he won all but one of his coaching rings with were arguably one of the most stacked teams in history. KAJ, Magic, Worthy for most of those rings, one of the best wing defenders ever in Michael Cooper and other top quality players for at least one or more of those titles like McAdoo, Scott, Nixon...

Add to that the west was generally without any other elite team throughout his time there (for a short period Houston with the twin towers was an exception) and the Lakers basically had a free ride to the finals. He never won anything of note in NY with Ewing.

He won one in Miami, but the 2006 handcheck parade to the line for Wade and a still pretty great Shaq had a lot to do with that. He also coached that team to dead last two years later with only 15 wins.

Jackson got flak because his teams were supposedly so stacked. For all he was blessed with, I'm not certain Riley doesn't get a bit of a pass for not winning more.

Its iffa, could, woulda stuff we can never know, but I suspect Daly or Brown would have won at least as many titles given the same set of circumstances.
I agree with this post.
LNS
Boxing Knowledge Champ

Post by LNS »

vcsgrizzfan wrote:I don't have a problem with Riley here per se, but I think he's got a bit of a Teflon cloak here.

I almost went with Brown over Riley. That 2004 Pistons squad was something else. But ultimately, I gotta give it to Riley due to his more winning ways.
vcsgrizzfan
Mount Rushmore

Post by vcsgrizzfan »

LakersNeedShaq wrote:

I almost went with Brown over Riley. That 2004 Pistons squad was something else. But ultimately, I gotta give it to Riley due to his more winning ways.
That's fair. He has a lot of hardware. But let's just keep in mind that he had some incredible horses to work with, especially in LA.
Carpediem77
Superstar

Post by Carpediem77 »

Riley.
Carpediem77
Superstar

Post by Carpediem77 »

Dr. Jack Ramsey, George Karl, Dick Motta need to be added to list.
dwcmwa
All-Time Great

Post by dwcmwa »

With regards to Riley not winning anything in NY, let's not forget he had to go against the Greatest Dynasty in Sports History, The Chicago Bulls.

If the Bulls didn't stand in their way, they appear in at least a few Finals and probably win at least 1 title.

Kevin
All-Star

Post by Kevin »

dwcmwa wrote:With regards to Riley not winning anything in NY, let's not forget he had to go against the Greatest Dynasty in Sports History, The Chicago Bulls.

If the Bulls didn't stand in their way, they appear in at least a few Finals and probably win at least 1 title.
The Yankees and Celtics laugh at your assertion.
AbeVigodaLive
Clean-Up Crew

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Don't know how anybody could not vote for Riley here.